Friday, May 16, 2008

Ellen

I had a dream last night that I was on the NYtimes website looking at the Top 10 most emailed articles.
The tenth most emailed article was about the death of Ellen Degeneres--she had apparently been struggling for years with health problems and prescription medication addictions.
I then woke up this morning to find that gays can now marry in California. My subconscious is up to something, but I'm not really sure what.
If someone could make sure Ms. Degeneres is okay, I would feel better.

On another note, I used to think that eating sugar cubes when I ran out of food qualified as hitting "rock bottom." But I then decided to take a swim in the most soiled of waters by joining a French online dating site called "Meetic."
This is the first and hopefully last time I resort to online dating, although I'll admit that I'm kind of enjoying it so far. After deciding that the usernames "GigglyAdam" and "AdamDaThroatSlasha" wouldn't translate well, I settled on the horrendous "AdamRicain."
"Ricain" is a pejorative term for Americans in French--it's basically the equivalent of a German giving himself the username "RolfTheKraut."
I am clearly playing the "adorable foreigner" card here in a way that makes me nauseous. You have to write little blurbs about yourself--mine begins with "Hello!" (written in English) and ends with "please don't make fun of my anglophone accent :-) "
You then click and fill out little forms talking about your hobbies--there's specific buttons to click for "role playing games" and "figurine collection," albeit none for "playing bingo without a shirt on."
You then look at pictures of people and "flash" them, which is a cute way of saying you're interested. I must be somehow targeting a certain demographic, since I've only gotten five flashes so far, and almost exclusively from Korean women in their 40s (this is actually not an exaggeration).
Anyway, again, here's hoping for a bit of luck in these exciting times.

No comments: