Sunday, May 25, 2008

Quoi?

There was a question on my solfege exam this morning asking what the marking "mp" means in music.

Wow.

All I can say is that if you've been playing an instrument for fifteen years and can't answer that question, you're in serious trouble. Like, "throw your oboe into a massive firepit and jump in after it" kind of trouble.
And if you've playing an instrument for more than a week and can't answer that question, you're still in trouble.

Along with a few more astonishing questions, the "theory" part of the exam involved writing a short (five measures) melody.
Maybe I was missing something important--I scratched mine out in a few minutes and was the first to turn in my exam.
Of course, this is France. While the rest of the students kept finishing their tests, the teacher (also the head of the school) actually picked up mine, looked through it, and made facial gestures. These ranged from nods to furrowed brows to outright laughter at certain points. Was it necessary to do this in front of the class? I suppose so.

I'll learn the results of my jury tomorrow. Will report back later.

More importantly, my internet dating site finally landed me a date with a francaise named Drumcaype (note: to protect the girl, I scrambled the letters of her name and added a few more). Although she looks like an adorable blonde in her photo, I won't bat an eyelash if a grizzled, 48-year old Korean farmer shows up to the cafe. Such are the risks we take with internet dating.
I guess it would still be fun with an old Korean guy though--we could go bobbing for apples and giggle alot, and maybe do a round of cosmic bowling. Then he could show me his home country. Keep an open mind, right?

No comments: