Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Faire Du Piano

I have my second piano lesson today with Madame Francoise Buffet, who, if you believe the sensational French press, more or less ignited Civil War in China.
For those who can't read the article, she apparently recently played a concert in China in which, after enduring noise and heckling from the dastardly Chinese, she left the stage in tears. This apparently sparked a polemic around the country and a bunch of flame-wars on the internet. It's exciting to know that I have a controversial teacher, I guess.
My school works in all sorts of weird levels and divisions and paths--it's like a choose your own adventure game. I knew it'd be complicated, but not this complicated:































Oh wait, that's Scientology. Well, mine is almost as complicated:



















So from what I understand, after finishing the 4th level, it branches off into the "execution" (performance) path and "enseignement" (teaching) path for the less gifted. I was supposed to be finishing up the second year of the 4th level, at which point my path would be chosen for me, but my teacher went ahead and placed me in the 5th "teaching/you are awful" division. I told her I would rather be moved back down to the 4th level and spend another year here than waste my time getting a mediocre degree for mediocre people.
Basically, we agreed that if I was making good progress, she would move me into the "performance/fuckin' awesome" path by winter break. So come winter break, I will either be in a very good mood, or have self-inflicted stumps instead of hands.
My teacher is surprised to see that I actually have ambition this time around--I think she even audibly laughed when I told her I was working on Schumann's "Carnaval." Oh, Adam wants to be "serious," that's cute.
Although I admit it is strange to feel like I have goals and/or direction for once. It makes me feel sort of uncomfortable.

No comments: