Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Les Cours Sont Chiants

Like a big, creaky, ungreased wheel, classes have progressively started to roll out at L'Ecole Normale. Apparently they actually started last week, although my piano teacher told me they were starting this week. When I pointed this out to her, she shrugged. Ehh, it's probably not a big deal, right?
Anyway, today was a big day in that I had my first class--solfege. For the uninitiated, solfege is more or less ear training--the teacher plays something on the piano (which can be a simple melody or crazy counterpoint and moving chord voices) and you transcribe it, you learn to sight-sing complicated stuff on the spot, etc . etc.
There is nothing I hate more than solfege, and nothing I am worse at. I'm convinced it's one of those things you either "have" or don't "have," like herpes.
The subject matter aside, I am one of three people in my class, along with a guy in his early forties and a 14 year old girl. The image of us hunched around the piano, pitifully singing exercises we didn't know could have easily been a scene in a dark comedy. I was hoping, perhaps in vain, that once school started I would actually meet people and have some sort of human contact.
Even worse, classes and homework are just as bureaucratic and complicated an affair as applying for a carte de sejour--we have no less than six books for our solfege class, and our homework is along the lines of "Book #1, analyze and read exercises #45, #2, and #78, Book #2, sing #3 and #37" etc. etc. My teacher was shocked when I asked her if she could repeat our assignments. I guess this is something I have to get used to.
Tomorrow morning I have "dechiffrage"--I have yet to look this word up, but it either has something to do with sight-reading or untying nautical ropes. I'm wearing my sailing gloves, just in case.

3 comments:

Gerrit said...

Why did you make a new blog? If it weren't for facebook, I wouldn't even know about this one!

Also, how on earth have you been using a toilet with no seat? I assume you have been gingerly holding the seat in place whenever you do use it, and then place it back on the floor.

Terence said...

so, no we don't know each other, but I was directed here while cluelessly googling for "dechiffrage" since I might have to inscribe for it! (I too am a pianist at Ecole Normale...)

Maybe you have some idea by now what exactly it is? (I certainly do not)

P.S. Sorry about and hope you don't mind too much my uninvited comment!

Terence said...

so, no we don't know each other, but I was directed here while cluelessly googling for "dechiffrage" since I might have to inscribe for it! (I too am a pianist at Ecole Normale...)

Maybe you have some idea by now what exactly it is? (I certainly do not)

P.S. Sorry about and hope you don't mind too much my uninvited comment!