Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Dans la Merde

I met a Caribbean guy in one of my classes last night who had been at my school for three years. Since my school feels like some kind of cosmic prank that's been organized by aliens, this was the first time I could actually talk with somebody, in English, who was "in the know" about things.
Ever since "Casey at the Bat" set me straight, I have never counted my chickens before they hatch. But my teacher hinted yesterday that I had made "huge changes" in the last few weeks and that she may switch me into the "performance" division. I was happy until I met said Caribbean guy who described the final exam for the 5th level:

1. The students (15 to 20) all play a Chopin Etude and a prelude and fugue. The teachers then instantly fail half of them, meaning they have failed the entire year.

2. The rest of the students go on to play the rest of the their program (a whole Beethoven sonata, a concerto movement, etc.) The teachers then fail half of these students.

Me: Holy shit! So only a quarter of the students pass at the end of the year?

Caribbean Guy: If even that! Sometimes only one or two pass. I know people who have stayed three years just trying to get past the fifth level.

Me: But...there's a sixth level, right?

Guy: HA! I only know one guy who ever passed that exam--he had been playing concerts around Russia for years, and he did it nine years ago.

Me: (vomits everywhere)


I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but I believe I am in way over my head here. I had the idea that this was basically a degree program--I do my work for the year, and as long as I make progress, I get something to show for it.
Instead I've apparently signed up for the Van Cliburn competition.
Maybe I'm just naive, but why do they do it this way? Why do they make 3/4 of the students waste the best years of their life trying to get this one degree? Why does every class lead up to one single exam in June, completely discounting any other progress made throughout the year? Why are literally all French people my age in really long-term relationships? I don't understand any of it.
I guess this doesn't really change anything for right now--I was practicing a lot anyway and shall continue to do so, although with maybe a bit more urgency and panic than before. This has even inspired me to sign up for yoga classes again, meaning that Shivam and I may meet again for a final showdown.
See you all in Atlanta next year!

1 comment:

Carson Salter said...

Adam- Sorry to hear this news, that's a redic system. be 1/4th-worthy, learn all you can and if you have to nab a degree from someplace else, it'll be a breeze.