Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Putain de Housse

I had the most stressful morning of my life a few days ago. Since my futon, as of Sunday, was just a white mattress on top of some wooden planks, I figured I should get some sort of cover for the mattress. I wouldn't even know how to ask for it in English, let alone in some weird Romance language in a country where most people don't even know what a futon is.
Apparently the word for those things that you stuff your comforter or mattress inside is a "housse." I used this word about 40 times over the course of a half hour conversation at a French department store:
"You know, I have a futon...you understand 'futon?' Yes? I need something to cover my futon."
"Ah, yes, a bedsheet."
"No, to cover the mattress. A housse? A housse for the mattress?"
"A housse for the mattress? This does not exist!"
"Yes, a housse...uh, for the mattress."
"You do not know how to express yourself, young man!"

It's the first time I've gotten this particular insult, but it stuck with me. I ended up leaving empty-handed, as I do from most encounters with the French these days.
And yet again, my neighbor pounded on my door at midnight, claimed to be the owner of a presitigious hotel next door (I checked, and she is not), screamed that she was going to call the police, and then ran off cackling.
Can I come home yet?

1 comment:

Clem's said...

As I told you before Adam : les vendeurs du BHV sont les pires enfoirés de Paris ! eheheh we should maybe go together next time, i'll teach you the right insults for them to identify you as potentialy helpable.